0
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 Post By: Grayne Wetzky

A business for people who hate business


The Internet is the greatest invention of our time. It has already changed the way the world operates in amazing ways, but the biggest potential for changing the world is still just beginning to be tapped. The Internet levels the playing field in ways that has never happened before and is making the goal of self employment closer than ever.

With the world more connected and reachable than ever before it opens up huge possibilities for individuals to carve out their own microbusinesses that can supplement or even replace their traditional income. There are already tons of people taking advantage of this and trying to take advantage of others desire to do the same, but there are also an exciting and growing movement of self made internet entrepreneurs that show us how we can use the Internet to create value for others and make a living in the process.

The key concept here is “to create value”. There are already millions of online ventures that rehash products and concepts and try to distinguish themselves by yelling the loudest and use almost dishonest techniques to get to other peoples money. I am sure this method can be successful, there must be a reason why so many people are doing it or attempting it. The problem for me is that it's not something I would be good at, or even want to get into. Creating mail lists, writing sales letters, positioning products and all those things are just not activities I can get excited about. If I was to try to go down that path I would easily be outperformed by the legion of people who actually do get excited about that kind of stuff.

So are people like myself doomed to be passed by and watch the new online economy from the sidelines? Of course not, while my temperament and interests might keep me from building massive businesses online, there are still plenty of opportunities to be found. When the entire world is your market, you can get by with a pretty tiny market share.

My approach to creating my own tiny online business is to focus on being creative. I have tried and failed miserably at other online money making techniques. I am just not very good at them and completely lack the drive to get any better. Luckily, there are resources out there that points to a different way of making your mark: Be positive, give freely, create value and help others. Basically being a nice guy and finding a way to share your knowledge and skills with the people of the world who need them.

This approach to creating an online presence is hugely appealing to me. Knowing that I don't have to create the biggest and best business in the world is a relief. All I can aim for is to put out the best I can do, and present it plain and without any fluff and marketing speak. I happen to be cursed with enough self confidence to know that if I deliver the best information and experiences I can produce, it will be plenty good enough to be useful to others.

The great beauty of this model is that standing out from the crowd becomes incredibly easy. All you have to do is be yourself. Focus on your own interests and experiences and work hard at presenting it in the best possible way. Your thoughts and ideas are uniquely yours, no one can create the same thing as you if you ground everything you do in yourself. And most important of all, whatever you decide to create this way will be compelling to others as well. It will take a while for people to notice, but as long as you create quality you will have an audience.

My way of implementing this mindset is through this blog. A hopefully unique blend of personal growth, financial advice, health, inspiration and kefir. Most people will never hear or see any of what I produce, and of the ones that does many will not care much for it, but I know there are people out there who want to read what I write and one day my words will reach some of them.



Powered by Blogger.
Copyright Reserved COURAGEOUS MIND 2010.
Design by: Bingo | Blogger Templates by Blogger Template Place | supported by One-4-All