2
Thursday, September 29, 2011 Post By: Grayne Wetzky

Variety is the spice of a primal diet

I think a primal diet is the optimal way for humans to eat. Going back to eating like our ancestors did has had a great impact on my life. It's the most successful yet the easiest to follow diet I have ever been on, and I have tried quite a few. Changing the way I eat has helped me get rid of allergies and migraines and has helped my lose a significant amount of weight.

It might sound like eating primal is a miracle cure. It is not, but it is in my experience the very best way to unleash your body's natural healing mechanisms. I recommend the diet to anyone at any time. Eating natural foods is easy and without any suspicious side effects.

The primal diet is great, but there is one stumbling block that trip up many a starting primalist: too much bacon.

Bacon, the gateway meat, is a food people love to be able to eat guilt free. On the primal diet bacon is perfectly acceptable, even recommended. I know I was blown away when I realized that bacon is not really slices of heart attack, it is actually quite healthy. As a result I ate bacon morning and night. I had eggs and bacon morning, day and night.

The problem was that I overdid it and ate it way to much. When I first started eating primal I stuck to very few foods that I knew were ok on the diet. This was a mistake, but I am far from alone in falling into this trap.


10 things you can do today to start your primal journey

Eating the same things day in and day out becomes very tedious. You might not think it possible, but it is quite easy to get tired of bacon and eggs. I almost gave up on the diet because I was getting fed up with all the fried food I was eating.

The solution that finally made the lifestyle click for me was to actively seek out variety. The best way I know to do this is to add more vegetables than you think possible. Add greens and colorful vegetables to everything you eat. Make salads that serve as a full meal. Boil, steam or fry them, just make sure you get plenty of vegetables in your food.

The second super weapon in the fight against boring primal food are spices. Flavor your food liberally and try out a wide range of different spices. I find this to be a great way to cut through the grease that comes with the increase of fatty meats. I enjoy breaking up the flavors of fried meat with something acidic like mustard, vinegar or mustard. I experiment with different spices that might not make much sense. I really enjoy the variety it adds to my food.

So, if you are interested in starting a primal lifestyle, I wholeheartedly recommend you give it a try. But make sure you mix up your food and keep it varied. You will have a much easier time with the lifestyle.



  1. Thanks for the tips. I'm starting a Primal Diet as soon as I get home!

  1. @Austan. That is great news, I recommend it with all my heart. If you have any questions or need tips/encouragement don't hesitate to contact me, either through a comment here, twitter or at havard.hegtun(a)gmail.com

    Good luck!

Powered by Blogger.
Copyright Reserved COURAGEOUS MIND 2010.
Design by: Bingo | Blogger Templates by Blogger Template Place | supported by One-4-All